Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Mission statement

Mission statement: “A formal document that sates the objectives of a company or organization. That is the dictionaries definition of a mission statement.
Now here is Tunxis’s “mission/vision statement,” Tunxis Community College offers its students a quality, yet affordable education in an accessible and supportive environment, fostering the skills necessary to succeed in an increasingly complex world.
Do I think this is on mark? Absolutely not; I do not think it could even be considered a mission statement because, the lake of actual “mission.” When I think of a mission I think something you strive to accomplish as a whole. Tunxis’s mission statement is trying to sell you the idea of the school.
I disagree with Tunxis’s entire statement; I don’t think that Tunxis is in any way affordable or a supportive environment for learning. Accessible? Maybe other then the parking situation, I am not accessible to a parking spot, so in return students are late to class. I absolutely disagree that in anyway Tunxis as and educational institution is supportive. In the two years that I have enrolled at Tunxis I felt that no matter how much I asked or look for the support I needed it was not there. The teachers, consolers, and staff did seem too interested in helping. People come and go so often it’s like I am just another face in the crowd.
If you were to read other college’s mission statement you would feel that they actually achieve their mission. At Tunxis there is nothing to achieve with the statement given. How does Tunxis expect to motivate there students to learn and strive for something if they don’t have a quality mission statement? Tunxis attracts most students that need a credit class that isn’t offered at other college, people that really don’t know what they want to do, and or continuing education.
In no way has Tunxis given me the skills necessary to help me succeed in a increasingly complex world. I mostly gain the knowledge and material if I wanted to write a book on going to community college. My experiences at Tunxis have been mostly good and I c ant complain to much because the first two years I went to Tunxis it was paid for. I took a lot of classes that I actually enjoyed. So in a way I have learned a lot , and its not the materiel given that I disagree with . I disagree with the teachers and staff and the lack emotion and caring they have for the students and other faculty. The lack of motivation and disrespect the staff shows to each other comes through in their teaching.
Tunxis community college in my opinion does not have a real mission statement. The mission statement they have is being fulfilled either, so they are not on mark. Working with the statement they provide to their students and is in no way motivating people to wan to go to Tunxis. I believe as well as the poor attempt of a mission statement and the lack of useful staff that Tunxis should revise how it works with its staff and student body. The president of the college should start with improving her staff's moral which in return will advance the students experience. Then she should rethink and rewrite the Tunxis mission statement to something as a college we could strive for and advance the students experience. Then she should rethink and rewrite the Tunxis mission statement to something as a college we could strive for and achieve.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though I would agree with your assessment with the "not-so-mission" mission statement, I think that you drift into your personal distaste with things you don’t like about the school for most of the essay.

You bring up very valid points and gripes but I don’t see exactly how they support the accusation of there not being a mission mentioned in the mission statement.

I do like the passion in which you talked about your topic, but the drifting into personal things you didn’t like about Tunxis removed creditability from your argument.

I’d agree though, need more parking. Thank god I have a motorcycle and I can sneak into the stripped areas between handicap spots ;)

Anonymous said...

i think the author was more bitter with tunxis than diagreeing with its statement. was kind of going on and on about how bad the school was. some of their complaints were legit and shuld be adressed but others im not too sure about. overall it wasnt bad the essay flowed and did make me think a little about the situation here at tunxis.

Anonymous said...

it seems like this person had a really bad experience with a staff member at tunxis and is now grouping all of the staff members together, in thinking that they all act or teach the same. i like how this student was passionate about what he/she was writing about. the bad experiences at tunxis seemed to catch my attention more than the mission statement though, at the end i was thinking about how he/she hated all of the staff here and how i didnt have that experience.

Anonymous said...

When people look for colleges they want to hear something good about the college to actually exel in their learning. So "selling the idea of school" in a mission statement, to me, is a good idea.

The author is definalty angery at the school then in the mission statement. For the parking issue, there wasn't a problem before they starting building. They took away the staffs parking that's why there's no parking. And I believe once this addition they are building is done, we will be a better college. So don't shoot down Tunxis yet, they are making a big difference.

Don't forget that tunxis is a community college, most people stay here for two years and go to another, so it's more of getting you ready for larger colleges. People that don't know what they are going for take general studies, gives them a boost.

Tunxis isn't that big and it doesn't have that much for courses, but at least it gives you some insight on where you want to go.

And the two years I have been here, every staff member has been nice to me.

Anonymous said...

This author appears to have had a less than wonderful experienc here at Tunxis and is very bitter about it. While some of the points are valid, it's hard to separate his/her anger and personal comments from the point of the essay, which was to discuss the validity of the mission statement.

Anonymous said...

I agree with previous comments to this essay: the author has used the mission statement as a platform to air his/her grievances with Tunxis faculty, staff, class schedules, parking availability, etc. Nowhere within this post has the author offered objective criticism to the mission statement, nor has he suggested alternative wording to improve it. Tunxis is a community college, not Harvard. As such, it must accomodate a more diverse segment of the population, many of whom do not yet have a plan for their futures. Also, the author has apparently never had any of the teachers I've taken class with during the past two years, or he would have experienced a very engaged faculty that not only cooperates fluidly within, but constantly reaches out to students in a supportive and enabling manner. Good luck in your future schooling.