Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Essay on Tunxis

Tunxis Community College offers its students a quality, yet affordable education in an accessible and supportive environment, fostering the skills necessary to succeed in an increasingly complex world.

The question I chose to write about was question number two.Is the mission statement of Tunxis Community College on the mark. Why or why not?

I will go phrase by phrase through the sentence to show why I believe that the mission statement chosen by Tunxis Community College is a dead on accurate portrayal of their goal as a community college. Before I look into the actual sentence I think of what I believe any college’s goals should be as an academic and educational environment. 1st obviously an educational staff that does their job well and teaches the students with enough one on one access to give every student the opportunity to excel, while also teaching them life lessons that they will eventually have to apply when they become active individuals in the community. The first part of the mission statement states that Tunxis Community College offers its students a quality yet affordable education. With that said I myself have had the opportunity to experience the quailty of the educational environment and from a students perspective I believe it to be as beneficial and helpful environment as any college could offer. The teachers seem to love what they do, many of them coming from high-school teaching positions, one of whom was my own 11th grade geometry teacher, and give plenty of opportunities for one on one time to learn the information being taught along with easy access to communication outside of school to contact teachers via email or phone. As for the affordable ending to the phrase anyone who knows anything about college tuition knows that it can cost applicants a large percentage of their income even with financial aid along with an arm and a leg thrown in. Tunxis’ rates are very competitive with other community colleges and make it very easily affordable to go to school for those low on funds. The next part of the statement claims an “accessible and supportive environment.” I have already covered how supportive the teachers are but also the staff working as guidance counselors, transfer counselors, secretaries, the tutoring staff and the educational resource staff make it easy for students to learn how they can be helped by Tunxis’ resources along with how they can help themselves. As for accessible Tunxis physically is a very open campus, and small enough for no one to possibly get lost in at least for not more than a minute or so until they find a campus staff to direct them. Obviously applicants are not discriminated against and anyone who applies can go there. The last phrase says while “fostering the skills necessary to succeed in an increasingly complex world.” Anyone living in society nowadays knows how complicated life has become in this new millennium. As an educational environment I truly believe Tunxis meets and surpasses all standards of a community college that it wishes to fulfill.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

elegant yet sophisticated

Anonymous said...

Aftering reading this I myself believe that the mission statement is accurate. Because this isn't high school, the professors don't choose the popular kids over the geeks. If you want to learn and the teachers see this they are going to help you. If you don't this is your own lose, this isn't high school, this is college and if you don't come to class it's your fault not the teachers. I agree the teachers that I had so far are very helpful.

Anonymous said...

I believe this essay is very well written, the opening statement is a little boring and wouldn’t actually grab me to read it. I would probably pass it right by. However, the rest of it is very good, not overly passionate but to the point.

Anonymous said...

nicely done.

Anonymous said...

I like that your so appreciative of your time here at Tunxis. I have to disagree though, or rather, state that my understanding of a mission statement differs from what I think yours does. Your essay is well written and your points back up your statements. But I am still left a bit confused on the sidelines here.

If this was an essay stating that you either agree or disagree with a general statement, Id be all for it and with ya on your points. But this was about stating if that is an actual mission statement or not, not just a statement of how it is now.

Personal understanding differences aside, well written and points made.